Sound Communities and Burton Academy have worked together for a number of years, predominantly with their Key Stage 3 students.
The Burton Academy is an alternative education provision for learners aged 11 to 16-years-old whose needs cannot be met within a mainstream environment. In particular, the Academy provides placements for young people in the Torbay area (non-EHCP) who exhibit social, emotional and behavioural concerns.
Projects focus on themed courses around particular areas to enhance the creativity within the curriculum. Students also contribute towards their Duke of Edinburgh awards by taking part in learning a new skill. The majority of sessions take place at the school however Sound Communities are now based on site a day each week to provide the creative curriculum. We also bring in young leaders and professional artists to inspire the students and help them to learn new skills.
- Increase confidence to express participants' emotions
- Raise aspirations for the young people of Torbay
- Develop creativity of students
- Reduce risky behaviours
- Improve wellbeing
- Contribute to ‘learn a new skill’ as part of the DofE curriculum.
- Explore the core values of the Burton Academy to potentially tie in with Personal Development Curriculum and Activity Passport.
Work With Us
Our team are responsive, flexible and able to work in a diverse range of settings. Our approach engages some of…
Help us to make a difference to some of the most disadvantaged young people in our communities.