RadioAhead targets vulnerable or disadvantaged Year 6 students from local primary schools ahead of transition to secondary school.
We target vulnerable Year 6 students and offer them a highly stimulating, creative radio broadcasting and music making experience as part of Ocean Youth Radio. They work with student peer mentors and our staff to teach them how to: make jingles, interview, present live, produce features, write lyrics, songs and share their work through social media. The young people become part of the station, engage in masterclasses and come back once a month to broadcast a live show online at Ocean Youth.
In 2023, began offering all primary schools in Torbay a radio roadshow to support their students with transition to Secondary school.
Please find all of the shows done by the schools below:
- Develop students' confidence
- Develop students' creativity
- Develop students' communication skills
- Develop connectedness to other young people
- Develop content to support young listeners with transition to secondary school
- Improve experience of transition from primary to secondary school for students
Watcombe Primary School
Hayes Primary School
Oldway Primary School
Sacred Heart Primary School
Sherwell Primary School
Roselands Primary School