Safer Streets 4 Youth
We are using our BoomBus to deliver inspiring, creative music and radio sessions across Torbay on young people’s doorsteps, helping to inspire them where they feel safest.
We’re working with Safer Communities Torbay through the Spring and Summer months of 2023 to bring creative opportunities to the doorsteps of vulnerable young people. Our BoomBus will engage 480 teenagers in key areas of Torquay in music and radio-based activities to divert them away from crime and anti-social behaviour (ASB). Located strategically at times and places of known ASB, we are a reassuring presence helping reduce the fear of crime in the heart of Torbay’s communities and offering a more appealing, sociable alternative.
Our team work responsively to the locations they are based in, tailoring their approach to the needs of the young people, as and where they find them. Using this ‘open space’ approach, the young people are encouraged to co-produce expressive music and radio content and through activities like lyric writing, digital music production, music engineering, DJing, singing, rapping, broadcasting, producing, podcasts, research and interviews, are able to build trusted relationships with our senior and young leaders.
- Develop young people's creativity
- Increase confidence in hard-to-reach young people who are at risk of offending
- Raise future aspirations in hard-to-reach young people
- Improve mental health, confidence and self-esteem of hard-to-reach young people
- Reduce anti-social behaviour
- Signpost young people to local support and ASB forum
- Help communities feel safe